Navigating the RAS Syllabus: Key Subjects and Priorities
Outline: “Break down the RAS syllabus into key subjects, highlighting the weightage of each and
guiding students on prioritizing their preparation”
Conquering RAS Prelims: Key Subjects and Weightage
The Rajasthan Administrative Service (RAS) Prelims examination is a crucial step in the journey
to become a part of the esteemed Rajasthan Administrative Services. To excel in this
examination, it is essential to have a strategic approach towards the syllabus. We will help you
break down the RAS Prelims syllabus into key subjects, highlight the weightage of each subject,
and guide you in your preparation.
- The RAS Prelims exam consists of one paper with 150 objective-type questions for which the maximum marks is 200. The total duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- All questions carry equal marks and there is negative marking of 1/3rd of the marks for each incorrect answer.
- Typically, one needs to score around 40-50% marks to pass this exam, but sometimes, when the questions are very tough, the required percentage can be even lower. For example, in the 2018 RPSC Preliminary Examination, the passing score was 76.6 marks, which is less than 40%.
- The syllabus is divided into two broad sections: General Knowledge and General Science, encompassing both Rajasthan-specific and general topics such as- History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition and Heritage of Rajasthan; History of India (History of Ancient, Medieval and Modern India); Geography (Geography of India, World and Rajasthan); Indian Constitution, Political System and Governance, Political and Administrative System of Rajasthan; Economic Concepts and Indian Economy, Economy of Rajasthan; Science and technology, logical reasoning (deductive, inductive, abductive), mental ability, basic numeracy and current events (major current events and issues of Rajasthan, India and of international importance, persons, places and institutions in news, games and sports related news).
- In order to boost chances of success, one should thoroughly review questions from the past 5 to 10 years of the preliminary examination. Focus on topics and areas that have consistently been emphasized in previous years’ question papers. Identify recurring themes and concentrate on key points and titles that have received more attention.
Understanding the RAS Prelims Syllabus
The RPSC RAS Prelims Exam is a multiple-choice, objective-type paper of 200 marks with a
duration of 3 hours. The syllabus is divided into the following sections – General Knowledge,
General Science, Reasoning, Mental Ability and Current Affairs . All questions carry equal
marks and there is negative marking of 1/3rd of the marks for each incorrect answer. The RAS
Preliminary Exam is set at the level of a Bachelor’s degree standard. However, it serves as a
screening test, and the marks obtained in this examination are not factored into the final merit
list. Successful clearance of the Prelims is a prerequisite for candidates to become eligible for
the Mains exam.
Let’s discuss the syllabus of RAS Prelims in detail:
- History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition and Heritage of Rajasthan
-Indian History & Culture:
Ancient History (Cultural Foundations of India, Renunciatory Traditions and New Religious
Ideas of 6th Century BC, Achievements of Prominent Rulers of Major Dynasties, Art and
Architecture in Ancient India). Medieval History (Sultanate Period, Mughal Period,
Development of Art & Architecture, Paintings and Music During Medieval Period, Religious &
Literary Contribution of Bhakti & Sufi Movements). Modern History from early 19th Century to
1964 (Evolution of Modern India & Emergence Of Nationalism, the Freedom Struggle & Indian
National Movements, Post-Independence Nation Building, Development of Science and
Economic Concepts and Indian Economy:
– Basic Concepts of Economics like Budgeting, Banking, Public Finance, Goods And Service
Tax, National Income, Growth and Development, Accounting, Stock Exchange and Share
Market, Fiscal and Monetary Policies, Subsidies, Public Distribution System, E-Commerce and
Inflation (Concept, Impact and Control Mechanism), Economic Development & Planning
(Major Sectors of Economy, Major Economic Problems and Government Initiatives, Human
Resource and Economic Development (Human Development Index, Happiness Index,
Poverty and Unemployment, Social Justice and Empowerment Provisions for Weaker Sections.
– Economy of Rajasthan: Macro Overview of the Economy, Major Agricultural, Industrial and
Service Sector Issues, Growth, Development and Planning, Infrastructure & Resources, Major
Development Projects and Major Welfare Schemes of the State Government.
– World Geography(Major Landforms, Types of Agriculture, Major Industrial Regions, Environmental
Issues) Geography of India (Major Landforms, Mechanism of Monsoon & Rainfall Distribution,
Major Rivers and Lakes, Major Crops and Minerals, Power Resources, Major Industrial Regions,
National Highways and Major Transport Corridors.
– Geography of Rajasthan: Major Physiographic Regions and Their Characteristics, Climatic
Characteristics, Major Rivers and Lakes, Natural Vegetation and Soil, Major Crops, Industries,
Irrigation Projects and Water Conservation Techniques, Population Growth, Minerals, Power
Resources, Biodiversity and Its Conservation, Tourist Centres and Circuits.
Science & Technology:
Basics Of Everyday Science, Computers, Information and Communication Technology, Defence
Technology, Space Technology and Satellites, Nanotechnology, Biotechnology and Genetic
Engineering, Food And Nutrition, Blood Groups and Rh Factor, Health Care, Environmental and
Ecological Changes and their Impact, Biodiversity, Conservation of Natural Resources and
Sustainable Development, Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry and Animal Husbandry with
Special emphasis on Rajasthan.
Indian Constitution, Political System & Governance:
– Indian Constitution: Philosophical Postulates; Constituent Assembly, Salient Features of the
Indian Constitution, Constitutional Amendments, Preamble, Fundamental Rights, Directive
Principles of State Policy, Fundamental Duties. Indian Political System (President, Prime
Minister and Council of Ministers, Parliament, Supreme Court & Judicial Review. Election
Commission of India, Comptroller and Auditor General, NITI Aayog, Central Vigilance
Commission, Lokpal, Central Information Commission, National Human Rights Commission,
Federalism, Democratic Politics in India, Coalition Governments and National Integration.
Political and Administrative System of Rajasthan:
State Political System: Governor, Chief Minister and Council of Ministers, Legislative Assembly
and High Court. Administrative System: District Administration, Local Self Government,
Panchayati Raj Institutions.Institutions: Rajasthan Public Service Commission, State Human
Rights Commission, Lokayukta, State Election Commission and State Information Commission.
Public Policy & Rights: Public Policy, Legal Rights and Citizen’s Charter.
Reasoning & Mental Ability:
– Logical Reasoning (Deductive, Inductive, Abductive), Statement and Assumptions, Statement
And Argument, Statements And Conclusion, Statement and Courses of Action and Analytical
Reasoning. Mental Ability and Basic Numeracy.
– Important Current Events and Issues of Rajasthan, Indian and International Importance,
Persons, Places and Institutions in News, Games and Sports Related Activities.
To effectively plan your preparation, it’s necessary to understand the weightage of each subject
in the RAS Prelims syllabus. The following table provides the number of questions and
subject-wise weightage of in the RPSC RAS Preliminary exam in 2022.
|Topics||Number of questions||Weightage Percentage|
|Indian & World geography||12||8%|
|Indian History, Art & culture||9||6%|
|Science & Technology||17||11.33%|
|Reasoning & Mental Ability||20||13.33%|
|Rajasthan: Art, Culture & Others||43||28.67%|
As shown in the table, Topics on Rajasthan carries the highest weightage, followed by Current
Affairs, Reasoning and Mental Ability.
Navigating the RAS Prelims syllabus requires a systematic approach, focusing on subjects with
higher weightage while not neglecting others. By following the prioritization strategy and
dedicating consistent effort, you can enhance your chances of success in this prestigious
Chanakya IAS Academy has a proven track record, with 30 years of excellence and over 5000
selections, making us the most reputed IAS/RAS institute in Rajasthan. Our Courses are
designed for both Hindi and English mediums. With personalized mentoring, extensive
classroom learning, numerous tests and ongoing support until selection, Chanakya IAS
Academy provides the comprehensive foundation you need to prepare for the RAS Prelims and
succeed in your pursuit of a career in the Rajasthan Administrative Services. Choosing an
institution like Chanakya IAS can be a pivotal decision in your path to success.