GS PAPER II NEWS
India Post Payments Bank
Why in News
- IPPB today announced that it has crossed the 50 million customer base mark in its three years of operation and has become one of the fastest growing digital payments banks in the country.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had called India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) the biggest financial inclusion initiative in the country at the time of its launch.
- It is a ‘Digital-First Bank’ set up on the tracks of India Post’s extensive physical distribution network under the Ministry of Telecommunications, Government of India.
- It has announced a major milestone towards achieving its financial inclusion goals through digital banking since its inception.
- IPPB has opened these five crore accounts in digital and paperless mode in 1.36 lakh post offices (out of which 1.20 lakh in rural post offices) with the help of about 1.47 lakh doorstep banking service providers.
- With this, IPPB has earned the world’s largest digital financial literacy program by leveraging the strength of 2,80,000 post office employees to create a financially aware and strong customer base.
- IPPB also said that it has adopted digital banking at the grassroots level through the interoperable payments and settlement systems of NPCI, RBI and UIDAI and is providing digital banking services in more than 13 languages.
- Women account for about 48 percent of the total account holders; Whereas 52 percent are male which shows that this bank is focusing on bringing women customers under the banking network.
- Accounts of about 98 percent women were opened at their doorstep and more than 68 percent women are availing the benefits of DBT.
- Another achievement is that IPPB has attracted youth to avail digital banking services. More than 41 per cent account holders are in the age group of 18 to 35 years.
Some information about India Post Payments Bank:
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) has been set up under the Department of Posts, Ministry of Communications.
- Its 100% equity is owned by the Government of India.
- IPPB was launched by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 1st September, 2018.
- This bank was established with a view to make the common man the most accessible, affordable and reliable bank in the country.
- The basic objective of IPPB is to remove barriers for the non-banking and under-banked people and to bring the benefits of the postal network to the last mile.
- IPPB’s outreach and its operational model are founded on India Stack- the vision of enabling paperless, cashless and presenceless banking at the doorstep of the customers in a simple and secure manner.
- A CBS-integrated smartphone and biometric device is used for this.
- Taking advantage of thrifty innovations and focusing on making banking easier for the masses, IPPB provides simple and convenient banking solutions through an intuitive interface available in 13 languages.
- IPPB is committed to promote a less cash economy and contribute to the vision of Digital India.
- India will prosper only when every citizen of it has equal opportunity to become financially secure and empowered.
- Our motto ‘Every customer is important; Every transaction is important and every deposit is valuable’ – is Satyar.
GS PAPER II
BRICS Science Technology (STI) Steering Committee
Why in News
- BRICS (BRICS) will host five events in 2022 as discussed in the 15th meeting of the Science Technology Innovation (STI) Steering Committee.
About the program
- The events are as follows: Meetings of BRICS Startups Forum, Meetings of Working Groups on Energy; Biotechnology and Biomedical; Information Communication Technology (ICT) and high performance computing; Science, Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship Partnership (STIEP) Working Group meeting and launch of BRICS Innovation Launchpad as a Microsite (Knowledge Hub).
- In this meeting held virtually, the calendar of BRICS Science Technology Innovation (STI) activities and expected deliverables were discussed. India has successfully handed over the presidency of BRICS to China from January 2022.
- The theme of BRICS 2022 is “Promoting High Quality BRICS Partnership in a New Era for Global Development”.
- A number of regional events and meetings, including ministerial and BRICS summits, will be held during the year.
- The BRICS Science Technology Innovation (STI) Steering Committee meeting was attended by representatives of BRICS scientific ministries, foreign missions.
- A total of 25 events have been planned in this, out of which India will host a total of five events. The Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) is the main executive agency for creation of BRICS Startups Forum and Innovation Knowledge Centre.
- BRICS Young Scientist Conclave BRICS Young Scientist Conclave will be held in virtual format in September 2022 with thematic focus on peak neutralization of carbon; There can be biomedicine (biomedicine), artificial intelligence (artificial intelligence), materials science and modern agriculture.
- China has proposed to host the 10th BRICS Science and Technology Ministerial Meeting and Senior Official Meeting in September 2022.
- The theme of the meeting will be Promoting open, inclusive and shared science, technology and innovation.
- In addition to the Ministerial meeting, an exhibition will also be organized showcasing the results of successful projects supported under the BRICS Framework Program (2015-2022).
GS PAPER II
Why in News
- Republic Day celebrations are to be organized on 26 January 2022 amid the third wave of Corona pandemic.
- In the Republic Day celebrations, it has been a tradition to invite mainly foreign guests as chief guests.
- Amidst the rising cases of Kovid-19, for the second time in a row, foreign guests will not attend this function as chief guest this time too.
- It has been the tradition of India that every year on the occasion of Republic Day, some foreign head of state has been invited as the chief guest.
Five Central Asian countries invited
- India had invited the leaders of five Central Asian countries as chief guests for the Republic Day celebrations to be held on 26 January.
- It includes the leaders of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan. But amid rising cases of Corona, New Delhi will no longer host leaders of Central Asian countries at the Republic Day celebrations.
- This is the second year in a row that high-level visits during Republic Day celebrations have been canceled due to Corona.
- Britain’s PM Boris Johnson was invited for the Republic Day celebrations last year. He also accepted the invitation, but the tour was canceled at the last minute amid the worldwide corona epidemic.
Covid vaccination mandatory
- This time in view of Corona in the Republic Day parade, it has been decided to cut 70-80 percent in the number of participants.
- Only 5,000 to 8,000 people will be allowed to attend the Republic Day celebrations this year. The Kovid Vaxi Nation has been made mandatory to attend this function.
- This year’s Republic Day invitees list includes construction workers, sanitation workers, frontline workers and auto-rickshaw drivers.
- Its main objective is to give opportunity to every person of the society. Let us tell you that the invited people should be fully vaccinated with both doses of the vaccine.
GS PAPER II
National Disaster Response Force
Why in News
- This time will be the foundation day of NDRF. NDRF was set up for the purpose of special response in case of disaster or crisis.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the 17th Raising Day of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), lauded this organization famous for saving people from natural calamities and evacuating them safely and said that it can do relief and rescue work even in the most difficult situations. has been in the forefront.
NDRF: At a Glance
- NDRF makes its full contribution in every crisis and disaster situation. Apart from providing assistance in times of disaster in other countries, India also provides training to the security forces of different countries.
- NDRF has also been helping in Swachh Bharat Swasth Bharat Abhiyan, health awareness programme, disease prevention and control awareness programme, child malnutrition awareness programme.
- The NDRF has been directed to work with the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and gather information about the resources and equipment available near the disaster-prone areas.
- In view of the rescue work done by NDRF, India can soon be made a part of UN-recognized international disaster rescue operation.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is under the National Disaster Management Authority.
- The Director General of NDRF is an IPS officer on deputation from Indian Police Organizations. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is a force of 16 battalions.
- It is organized on the basis of para-military forces, and is operated by persons on deputation from para-military forces of India.