GS PAPER II NEWS
Veer Children’s Day
Why in News
- The Central Government on 26 December 1705 by Sahibzada Zorawar Singh Ji and Sahibzada Fateh Singh Ji, the young sons of the tenth Guru of Sikhs, to protect the dignity and pride of Sikhism, aged only 9 and 6 years. In the memory of making supreme and unparalleled sacrifices, it has been decided to celebrate it as “Veer Bal Diwas”.
- main point
- It will be a tribute and tribute to the grateful nation and countrymen for displaying great valor and supreme sacrifice in the pursuit of justice by Sahibzada Zorawar Singh and Sahibzada Fateh Singh during the celebration of “Azadi Ke Amrit Mahotsav”.
Guru govind singh
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji was the 10th Guru of Sikho. Guru Gobind Singh was born in Patna Sahib, the house of the ninth Sikh Guru, on Paush Shukla Saptami Samvat 1723 i.e. 22 December 1666. His childhood name was Govind Rai.
- Guru Gobind Singh’s family moved to Punjab in 1670.
- Guru Gobind Singh ji was a great warrior, poet, devotee and spiritual leader. This day is considered to be the most important day in the history of Sikhs, when Guru Gobind Singh founded the Khalsa Panth on the day of 1699 Baisakhi.
- Guru Gobind Singh completed the Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of the Sikhs, and beautified him in the form of a Guru.
- Guru Gobind Singh is also known by many names, surnames and titles like Kalgidhar, Dashmesh, Bajanwale etc.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji always gave the message of love, unity, brotherhood. He believed that man should not intimidate anyone and should not be afraid of anyone.
- The first philosophy of his life was that the path of religion is the path of truth and truth always wins.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji had spent his entire life serving the people and walking on the path of truth.
- Guru Gobind Singh died at the age of 42 on 7 October 1708 in Nanded, Maharashtra.
GS PAPER II
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
Why in News
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is celebrated every year on 9 January. Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was first celebrated in 2003.
- On Pravasi Diwas, those Indians are honored who have enhanced India’s honor by achieving special achievements abroad in their respective fields.
- This year India is celebrating its 17th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- Last year Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was celebrated virtually. This year Pravasi Bharatiya Divas is being celebrated in a virtual way.
Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated on 9 January every year to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community in the development of India.
- Celebrating the occasion on 9 January since it was on this day in 1915 that Mahatma Gandhi, the greatest expatriate, returned to India from South Africa, led India’s freedom struggle and changed the lives of Indians forever. was selected as
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas conventions are being organized every year since 2003. These conferences provide a platform for the overseas Indian community to engage with the government and the people of their ancestral land for mutually beneficial activities.
- These conferences are also very useful in networking among the overseas Indian community living in different parts of the world and enable them to share their experiences in different fields.
- During the event, individuals of exceptional merit are honored with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award in recognition of their role in the development of India.
- The event also provides a forum for discussing important issues concerning Indians settled abroad.
GS PAPER II
Digital India Initiative
Why in News
- As per the records maintained by the Defense Estates Offices, the Ministry of Defense has ownership rights of about 17.99 lakh acres of land, of which about 1.61 lakh acres are located within 62 military cantonments.
- Clear demarcation, survey and demarcation of boundaries are necessary to prevent encroachment on the land of the Ministry of Defense, to protect the title, to protect the defense land and to update the land records.
- To work in this direction, the Directorate General of Defense Estates, Ministry of Defense started the survey of defense land from October 2018.
- Survey work of about 1.61 lakh acres of defense land inside the cantonments and 16.17 lakh acres (total 17.78 lakh acres) outside the cantonments has been completed.
- This is a remarkable achievement as for the first time after independence, Defense land has been surveyed in multiple pockets using latest survey techniques and in collaboration with Revenue Officers of various State Governments.
- Land spread over an area of about 4,900 across the country, difficult terrain at many places, large size of land and cohesive work of various stakeholders makes this survey one of the largest land surveys in the country.
- Leveraging drone imagery and satellite imagery based surveys to make the survey process faster, reliable, robust and time bound.
- Drone imagery based survey technology was used for the first time in Rajasthan for surveying lakhs of acres of defense land.
- With the help of the Surveyor General of India, the entire area was surveyed in a matter of weeks, which earlier used to take years.
- In addition, satellite imagery based survey was carried out for the first time for several Defense Land Areas (Pockets). Satellite imagery survey was carried out again to measure millions of acres of defense land, especially in some areas.
- 3D modeling techniques have also been introduced for better visualization of defense land in hilly area using Digital Elevation Model (DEM) in collaboration with Bhabha Atomic Research Center (BARC).
- As a part of the survey, a project for Real Time Change Detection System based on Time Series Satellite Imagery has also been taken up for detection of encroachments on Defense land.
- Pilot test has been done on satellite images of Defense land received from National Remote Sensing Centre, Hyderabad.
- The association of revenue officers in the survey will help in reducing boundary disputes among the stakeholders. It will also help in resolving legal disputes at various levels.
Center of Excellence on GIS Mapping
- Center of Excellence (CoE) on Land Surveying and GIS Mapping has also been established at NIDEM (National Institute of Defense Asset Management) for capacity building of Defense Estates Officers in the area of latest survey technologies.
- COE aims to be an apex survey institute capable of providing various levels of training to officers of Central and State Government Departments.
- CoE also aims to use SLAM/GIS technologies in better land management and town planning process.
GS PAPER II
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
Why in News
- Former Reserve Bank of India Governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as the vice-chairman of the Beijing (China)-based multinational financial institution Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Urjit Patel will succeed DJ Pandian, the outgoing Vice President of AIIB.
- India is one of the founding members of AIIB. India has the largest voting share in the bank after China. The head of the bank is Jin Liqun, former Deputy Finance Minister of China.
- Urjit Patel’s tenure will be three years. He will be one of the five vice-presidents of AIIB. He is expected to take over next month.
- Pandian will return to India this month. He has also been the Chief Secretary of Gujarat in the past. Pandian is AIIB’s head of sovereign and non-sovereign financing in South Asia.
- Urjit Patel’s posting in AIIB assumes significance as India is seeking financial assistance of $6.7 billion from the bank for 28 of its projects.
- AIIB along with Asian Development Bank (ADB) is also processing a loan of $2 billion to buy COVID-19 vaccines for India.
- Urjit Patel took over as the 24th Governor of the Reserve Bank on September 05, 2016.
- Urjit Patel has also worked with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Boston Consulting Group and Reliance Industries in the past.
- He has also served in the Ministry of Power and Department of Economic Affairs from 1998 to 2001.
- He has also been the Principal Policy Officer in IDFC Limited.